Friday, April 26, 2013

AWESOME NEWS!!!


The Why?? 

When I decided that homeschooling was the best thing for my child, she way below level academically. She was in her first month of 2nd grade, and reading at 1rst grader that just started (1.1). Meaning a Kindergartner that just graduated. I was amazed that all this time passed by and no one told me that, especially when I was the mom that was always asking the teachers for meetings, to speak about my child's progress and all they could concentrate on was "Gabi, is too social, disrupts class with her constant talking, could you talk to her about not being that way?"

The difference was made when one teacher, early in the year sat with me and finally told me: at what level she was, what was going on, suggested test to be taken to dig further into what was making her be this way.  When it was all said and done, the doctor (after much deliberation and testing) decided that it was a mix of ADD & ADHD.

That was the start of our homeschooling journey. I realized that teachers just have too many children to be able to really give the attention she needed to succeed academically. I wasn't blaming the system, the teachers, or anyone else. I knew that if I wanted the best I needed to take into my hands, and put her in God's.

Who said it would be easy??


We stumbled a lot! I started getting to know her once again, from her thought process to her emotional character. It all made a difference, it all had to go together to be able to make it work. I can't say I completely know her because everyday she shows me more of her, but I can say that I know a lot more than I did.  

I found myself many times, on my knees praying to God to give me divine word because I just didn't know what to do, how to do it, or where to get the answers.  We had our really bad days, then our semi- bad days then I started appreciating the good days, which soon became great, awesome, & amazing days to me because they were so rare.

Throughout this time I kept thinking, am I doing correct by her? Did I make this decision to hastily? Is she really making process or am I so desperate for progress that I'm just seeing it. 

So, what happened next??

6 months have passed by. I decided to take her to get tested, to see at what grade level she was at. I was scared, nervous, but trying to be calm for her because test cause her a lot of anxiety. That morning she cried saying she was tired, she didn't want to go in, she would ask me if anyone would be there to help, and other concerning things for her. Me and my husband prayed for her and just told her to do her best, not to worry if she couldn't figure it out with every thing she knew then it was ok to leave it.

The next day I went in by myself for the results. I sit at the Director of the Learning Center's desk, she brings out these papers, with bar graphs, and numbers. I look at the numbers and don't understand what they mean. When she starts speaking she asks what brought me there, so I told her the story. When I am doing she says: "Wow, well then I have really good news for you Mom."

That is when she starts telling me that my daughter is now at a 2.7 level in reading & vocabulary, that she scored so high she would go in to the higher reading program. My heart jumped with joy, and I wanted to jump with it!! But, I had to hold my composure. After an hour of discussing all the test that were done and the scores, we shook hands and I went on my way. 

On the car ride home I cried and laughed all at once. I was amazed at what God had done for Gabriela. How prayer really was working, that He was giving her and me wisdom, and guidance through out this process. How we were really NOT ALONE in this. The journey continues, but now we are secure in that this was what God wanted for her, and that we're in the right path. 

If you're in a bind, don't know what to do , where to go, or who to ask. Ask God, ask Him that He will guide you to the correct path. You might feel as if you are blindly doing things, but that's just part of the  fun in the journey, at the end you will see all He did for you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment