Thursday, June 6, 2013

Myths & Misunderstandings of AD/HD

What people say about me or mines has rarely affected me. I've always been one to be able to march at the beat of my own drum and live happily doing so.

One of the many things I did was respect every one's opinion on anything, trying to not criticize or judge on the way.  BUT! when someone decides to have a strong opinion on something, that sometimes they don't know much about.

I believe to have such a strong opinion on a certain topic then you must educate yourself to be able to rebuttal and defend your point of view with credibility, and at the same time having an open mind to explore the other side (& become educated on it as well).

For the many that say "I don't believe in AD/HD", "AD/HD is just an excuse" ... ETC!

Here is a great article by Phillis Anne Teeter Ellison, Ph.D. called
from CHADD's Attention! Magazine

A blurb from the article: 

"Public perceptions of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are replete with myths, misconceptions and misinformation about the nature, course and treatment of the disorder. Popular misconceptions assert that ADHD is not a disorder or at minimum, is a benign one that is over-diagnosed. Critics often claim that children are needlessly medicated by parents who have not properly managed their unruly, unmotivated or underachieving children, or who are looking for an academic advantage (e.g., testing or classroom accommodations) in competitive, high-stakes educational environments. Some suggest that "a growing intolerance of childhood playfulness may in fact be leading to more and more children being labeled with ADHD" (Panksepp, 1998, p. 91). Critics rarely present evidence-based arguments and frequently allege that professionals are harming otherwise normal children by diagnosing and treating ADHD."


 I am a Christian mother of two (soon to be 3 in September), and I will admit that at first I was led by the news and little snip-its I read here and there about it. Never did I take the time, as I've had to do to now, to be able to really understand what it really is. 

That there are people in this world that misuse the name? I'm sure of it. They misuse the name of God as well!! I'm not surprised at it. But before you make up your mind as to how you feel about it please click on the link above and read on, so you may start to open up your mind.

If you are a Christian (saved, accepted your savior, etc.), than at one time you looked at christianity and had your opinions on it. Until, someone came to you and brought the Word to you in such a way that the truth was revealed and you were convicted in such a way that you gave your life to Jesus.

I'm not asking for people to give their lives to the research of what AD/HD really is, just want for once when I try to explain how my daughter's brain works, I don't get the "I don't think that's a real thing", or "I think we all have a little bit of that". 

It's not only inattention, it is so much more. I'm not asking for pity (far from it). Just understanding.

Knowledge is power, take advantage of it while you have the opportunity to get it.

Need more info, please visit:



No comments:

Post a Comment